Based on a Jill Duplex recipe
Prep 15 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
For coating the pots:
60g Unsalted Butter
60g Plain Flour
350ml warm Milk
100g Grated Cheese (Gruyere, Parmesan, Strong Chedder etc)
4 Eggs (separated)
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
100ml Double Cream
More Grated Cheese for topping
Salt and Pepper
1) Heat the oven to 180c.
2) Butter 4 ovenproof pots.
3) Coat the butter with the breadcrumbs.
4) Gently melt the Butter in a pan, add the Flour and cook for 2 minutes.
5) Gradually stir in the warm Milk.
6) Add the Cheese, season with Salt and Pepper and stir for 5 minutes.
7) Let it cool for 10 minutes.
8) Beat in the egg yolks one at a time.
9) Add in the Mustard.
10) Whip the egg whites until they firm up then gently fold in.
11) Fill each pot to threequarters full.
12) Place the pots in a baking dish half filled with boiling water.
13) Bake for 20 minutes in the middle of the oven until they have risen and slightly browned.
14) Let them cool for at least an hour.
15) Heat the oven to 220c.
16) Turn out the souffles on buttered oven proof plates.
17) Top with Grated Cheese and the Cream.
18) Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
19) Dust with the paprika.