by Antony Worrall Thompson
from Ready Steady Cook
Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
For the meatballs
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
2 beef steaks, chopped (approx. 200g/7oz each,)
1 lime, juice only
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg yolk
freshly ground black pepper
For the tomato sauce
2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
1 chopped onion
110g/4oz button mushrooms
400g/7oz tin chopped tomatoes
½ glass red wine
handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
1. Place all the ingredients for the meatballs into a food processor and whizz together until blended.
2. Using wet hands, divide the mixture into 16 even sized portions and then roll into balls.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the meatballs for 3-4 minutes until sealed and lightly browned.
4. Add the onion, tomatoes, mushrooms and wine to the pan and simmer for a further 10-12 minutes or until the meatballs are completely cooked through.
5. Transfer the casserole to serving plates and garnish with chopped parsley.