Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Perfect Sautéed Potatoes
4 Medium Potatoes (Maris Piper/King Edwards)
2 Tablespoons of neutral Vegetable Oil
Fresh Sea Salt/Black Pepper to taste
20g Unsalted Butter
Chicken Stock (optional)
A quick tip from Raymond Blanc - from his book Kitchen Secrets.
1) Peel the Potatoes and cut into regimented dices.
2) Rinse under cold water and leave to drain.
3) Blanch the Potatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, drain them in a colander to drain and cool off.
4) Heat the Oil in a large flat pan on a high heat and add the Potatoes, Salt and Pepper.
5) Sautée for about 5 minutes until they are golden brown.
6) Lower the heat and add the Butter and Stock. Stir to emusify and serve.
If you over blanch the Potatoes.
It happens. Boil the Potatoes for more than 30 seconds and they will be way too wet to sautée. Here is a tasty fix that I threw together.
1) Sweat off some finely chopped Onions in Butter and Oil. Let them cool.
2) Finely dice some cooked Beetroot.
3) Mash up your over blanched Potatoes.
4) Mix it all up and season with whatever you fancy.
5) Form into cakes and gently fry in Vegetable Oil/Butter until they get a nice crust.