1 Large Onion - Grated
4 Garlic Cloves - Roughly chopped
4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
4 Cardamom Pods, split
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 Fresh Bay Leafs
600g Lamb Shoulder or Leg, cubed
Water and/or Stock
Ground Fresh Ginger
2 teaspoons of Fennel Seeds
1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
2 teaspoons Paprika
Pinch of Ground Turmeric
Dry roast the whole spices, then add all the spices to a mortar and pestle and finely grind them.
1) Heat the Oil in a wok, or big pan with a lid, over a moderate flame.
2) Add the Cardamom, Cinnamon and Bay. Swirl them around in the Oil for 30 seconds or so.
3) Add the grated Onion, lower the heat and cook until nearly browned.
4) Add the Garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
5) Add the Lamb and stir until the meat is browned all over and any water from the Lamb has reduced. Add the Spice Mix stirring to coat everything.
6) Add enough hot Water or Stock to just cover the Lamb. Bring the heat up so it just reaches boiling then immediately reduce the heat.
7) Stir in some of the Yogurt. It will might separate/curdle - don't worry, it will cook down fine.
8) Grate in the Lime rind and Fresh Ginger to taste.
9) Get the heat so it just bubbles away. Cover and stir occasionally.
10) Cook until the Lamb is tender, about 20-30 mins, and the liquid has reduced.
Serve over Fragrant/Plain Rice topped with some more Yogurt.