1 C. (110g) whole wheat Flour
1 C. (110g) all-purpose Flour
2 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Baking Soda
1/2 t. Salt
1/2 C. (50g) Bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 C. (40g) chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 C. (55g) Butter
2/3 C. (130g) Bittersweet chocolate chips
3/4 C. (150g) Brown Sugar
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 C. Beet puree*
2/3 C. (160ml) Buttermilk
1 t. Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line it with paper cups; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients until well combined.Stir in the half cup chocolate chips and nuts; set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, melt the other 2/3 cup chocolate chips and butter over very low heat.Stir to combine and set aside to cool until lukewarm.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, beet puree, buttermilk, vanilla and melted chocolate.
6. Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Don’t over mix.
7. Immediately spoon batter into 12 well-greased or paper-lined muffin cups.Batter should completely fill the cups.
8. Place muffin pan in a preheated 375 oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. Muffins are done when they spring back when touched lightly in the center (or when a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean). Don’t overbake!
9. Cool muffins for 10 minutes in pan then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Canned beets may be used in this recipe but I strongly suggest using fresh ones if possible. To prepare beets: Cut off the greens leaving about one inch attached. Don’t cut anything off the root end. Gently scrub the beets being careful not to cut the skin. In a medium saucepan, cover beets with water, bring to a gentle boil and cook, covered, 30-45 minutes until tender. Drain and let sit until cool enough to handle. The tops should pull off easily or they can be cut off. The skins will slip right off. Puree beets with a little bit of the cooking liquid in a food processor until they are the consistency of applesauce.
From Nicoles Blog
(my pics though...)