by Paul Rankin
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
For the burgers
250g/9oz chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander seed
6 tbsp chopped parsley
½ tsp chilli powder
2 rounded tbsp plain flour
1 tsp salt
Oil for deep fat frying
For the hummus and tahini sauce
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tahini
4 large rolls (or hamburger buns)
1 fat tomato, sliced
1 red onion sliced
4 leaves butter lettuce
salad or fries, or sautéed potatoes
1. Drain the chickpeas thoroughly and pulse in the food processor until lightly broken up.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to pulse until you have the texture of coarse breadcrumbs. Gently form into patties approx. 10cm/4in in diameter by 2½cm/1in. thick.
3. Fry in hot oil at 180C/350F for 4-5 minutes, or until crisp or golden.
4. For the hummus and tahini sauce simply whisk together all the ingredients. If you prefer a lighter sauce add a little water until it is the preferred consistency.
5. To serve, split and warm the rolls. Place in the top of each roll a leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and some red onions.
6. Place the falafel burger on the bottom side of the roll, and some of the sauce.
7. Either serve side by side on a plate, or built up as a burger on a plate with your choice of accompaniment.
8. Cook and refrigerate or freeze any left over burgers for a quick and easy snack.