by Lucas Hollweg
As suggested, this is best cooked the day before it is needed.
2 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
1 Onion, finely sliced
1 Red Cabbage, quartered, core removed, sliced into 5mm strips
5cm strip of Orange Zest
2 medium Apples, peeled, cored, quartered, then cut each quarter into 4 slices
50ml Red Wine Vinegar
125ml Red Wine
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
3-4 tablespoons Redcurrant Jelly
2 Juniper Berries, crushed
2 Bay Leaves
Quarter teaspoon ground Cinnimon
Freshly Ground Pepper and Sea Salt to taste
1) Preheat oven to 170c.
2) Melt the butter in a large ovenproof casserole (with lid) and sweat the onion until they soften.
3)Add the Cabbage and stir to coat with the onion and butter.
4) Push the Clove into the Zest and add this along with the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Season gently.
5) Cover with tinfoil and the lid.
6) Cook for 2 hours, stiring every 20 minutes. (add some more wine if it starts to dry out)
7) After an hour and a half, taste it to see how the seasoning is. Add more sugar/vinegar etc if needed.
8) When it has finished cooking, remove the Zest and Clove and allow it to cool.
9) Refrigerate if using the next day.
10) Reheat it gently when needed, adding a bit of liquid so it doesn't burn.