by Brian Turner
from Ready Steady Cook
For the steak
150g/5½oz beef steak
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
For the rarebit sauce
1 tbsp butter
100ml/3½fl oz double cream
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
15g/½ oz blue cheese, crumbled
For the turned tomatoes
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
150ml/5fl oz hot oil
1 sliced tomato
1. To prepare the beef, rub the steak with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Place the steak in a hot griddle pan and turn over after two minutes. Cook for a further three minutes.
3. Leave the steak to rest for 2-3 minutes.
4. For the rarebit sauce, in a saucepan, melt the butter on a medium heat.
5. Add the cream and mustard and reduce for three minutes.
6. Add the cheese and stir until melted (roughly for 1 minute).
7. For the turned tomatoes, in a medium sized bowl mix the flour and the curry powder and the thyme.
8. Slice the tomato and dip into the flour mix.
9. In a medium frying pan or deep fat fryer, heat the oil on a hot heat and shallow-fry.
10. To serve, place the steak in the middle of the plate with the tomatoes on the side, spooning over the sauce.