This needs to sit for at least 24 hours, so plan ahead...
1 Fresh Duck
10cm Ginger Root sliced up
A bunch of Spring Onions roughly chopped
Cornflour or Plain Flour
Groundnut Oil for deep frying
2 tablespoons Five Spice Powder
75g Sichuan Peppercorns
30g Black Pepercorns
4 tablespoons Cumin Seeds
200g Sea Salt
1) Put the marinade together, then rub it all over the duck, inside and out.
2) Wrap the duck in clingfilm and put it in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
3) Take the duck out and brush off the marinade.
4) Fill the ducks cavity with the ginger and spring onions.
5) Steam the duck gently for two hours. Use a wok with a lid, they tend to be about the right size and shape for a duck.
6) Drain the duck, remove the ginger and spring onions and let the duck rest for two hours.
(You can put it in the fridge for use later, after it has cooled)
7) Cut the duck into quarters and lightly dust with flour.
8) Heat the oil until nearly smoking.
9) Fry the duck quarters until crisp - Breasts for 8-10 minutes, Thighs for 12-15 minutes.
10) Drain the duck on kitchen towels and when cool enough, shred the meat off.