Sunday, July 24, 2005
Roasted Tomato Soup
1 Kilo Plum Tomatoes, halved (Any tomatoes will do, as long as they are good quality)
1 Onion, thinly sliced
4 Garlic Cloves, halved
Small Handful of Thyme sprigs
1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
Small handful of Basil sprigs
1 ltr Chicken stock
Sea Salt and Fresh Black Pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 220c, Gas 7.
2) Pour oil into a roasting tin and heat in the oven.
3) Tip tomatoes, onion rings and garlic into the warm tin. Coat in all the oil. Add the Thyme and sprinkle over sugar, salt and pepper.
4) Roast in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes until nicely caramelised. Add the Basil towards the end of cooking.
5) Heat the stock.
6) Add the tomato mixture to the stock, removing the thyme. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7) Blitz with a food processor and sieve it, this gets rid of the bitter tomato pips.
8) Garnish with sour cream/garlic croutons/whatever you fancy.