30 mins - 2 Hours (After the initial cooking, you can let it sit to reheat later. A good one to do before you go out for an evening)
2 Shallots, peeled
2 Lime Leaves
1 Stalk of Lemon Grass
1 Clove of Garlic, peeled
1 Red Chilli, deseeded
1 tsp turmeric
2.5 cm of peeled ginger
500g/1 lb 2oz chicken thighs, boned and chopped (Leave the thighs whole if you like, it falls off the bone if you cook it slower)
3 tbsp oil for frying
2 pieces of cinnamon stick
Salt and pepper
330ml coconut milk
150-200g Basmati rice
1 Onion/Shallots, peeled and finely sliced
1 Cinnamon stick
Finely chopped fresh coriander and Spring onions to garnish.
1) Blitz the sauce ingredients till smooth.
2) Fry the chicken in a little oil (get some nice browned bits going on), then add the sauce. Fry for a few minutes then add the cinnamon and salt and pepper to season.
3) Add the coconut milk, cover and simmer for 30 mins
4) Slow fry the onions (in Ghee is good if you have some)
4) Cook the rice, put the cinnamon stick in the boiling pan to.
5) Garnish with coriander, and spring onions.
Notes: This works in the oven on a low heat for a long time, 3 hours on a low heat, good if you are going out and need food when you get back.
I double the sauce for greedy people who like lots of juice.
Use the juice of a lime instead of the Lemon Grass (Difficult to find sometimes)
You can use breast for this, whole or chopped as in the pics below, but I think the leg meat with bone adds to the flavour.
This also works well with Korn for the Veggie crowd.